One of the worst surprises related to the purchase of an SUV is the high fuel consumption. Low performance is directly related to the weight and aerodynamic profile of these cars, which rarely exceed the mark of 10 km / l in the city. But there is one exception to that rule: Nissan Kicks.
Weighing only 1,142 kg, the Kicks can be considered the featherweight of the category, which favors a good set of mechanics made up of a 1.6 liter HR16DE engine and an XTronic CVT automatic transmission.
The results could not be better: an average of 10.9 km / l in the city and 14.4 km / l on the highway, with gasoline. Performance is also impressive. There are 114 hp at 5,600 rpm and 15.5 kgfm at 4,000 rpm, enough numbers to accelerate the Kicks from 0 to 100 km / h in 11.9 seconds.
Wisely, the Kicks offers good interior space for four adults thanks to 2.62 meters between the axles and 432 liters in the trunk. Originally imported from Mexico, the Kicks arrived in mid-2016 (as a 2017 model).
Well-equipped, the mid-range SV Limited has a configurable color TFT screen on the dashboard, digital climate control, stability control, hill start assist, parking sensors, power steering, multimedia with GPS and Isofix for child seats.
Those who prioritize safety should opt for the top-of-the-line SL, which adds side and curtain airbags. Inside, leather-wrapped seats are standard, along with a 360-degree vision system.
Best deals to buy
The success of the Kicks led to its nationalization in 2017, when the range was made up of S, SV and SL versions. The mid-size SV continued to be a bestseller and features ESP, hill start assist, website key, push button, electric exterior mirrors, LED direction indicators, 17-inch alloy wheels, parking sensors and a touchscreen. 7 inches. touch sensitive.
When looking for yours, prioritize them with the Pack Plus, which adds side and curtain airbags and leather-wrapped seats.
The National Kicks SL differs from the Mexican version with chrome door handles and electrically folding rearview mirrors and offers the Tech Pack as an option, with collision warning, emergency braking system and LED lights.
Be especially careful with the entry-level S version, as the Safety Package, with traction and stability controls, is optional. As a member of our Long Term fleet, Kick was evaluated positively, indicating that most of its problems were related to the approved network. No problem: Kicks are popular with independent developers.
Disadvantages of Nissan Kicks:
- Suspension: famous for noise. The adjustment of the components helps to reduce the discomfort, but in severe cases it is necessary to replace the upper cushions of the shock absorbers, the bushings of the front trays and the locking rods. There are also cases of rear axle breakage, which is reported in the Safety section.
- Direction: The operating system is also a source of noise, caused by playing in the column with the operating box. The problem is usually solved simply by replacing the components. See the report in the Self-Defense section.
- Internal noise: A report from the Self-Defense section brought cases of owners who complain about the interior noise of the small SUV, which the brand is not able to solve.
- Tires: Tires are good indicators of problems with suspension and steering components: uneven wear is a sign of poor alignment. Before closing the deal, consider the condition of the tires, as a complete replacement of a 16″ rim does not cost less than R$ 2,000.
- CVT Transmission: rarely have problems, but you have to pay attention to the water level (no dipstick) and change it every 100,000 km in mild usage conditions. When in doubt, it’s best to change the water and check for any leaks.
- Note: just one, involving 245 units manufactured in April 2018 that installed the front passenger seat mounting bolts incorrectly. Covers chassis numbers from 94DFCAP15JB138845 to 94DFCAP15JB139296.
Name: Paulo Stotto
Age: 42 years
Profession: public agency
City: Sao Bernardo do Campo (SP)
- What I like: “Despite being a sports utility vehicle, the performance is similar to that of an average sedan, with good agility on city roads and low fuel consumption. The comfort level is even better because of the interior space.
- What I hate: “The suspension journey is short and reaches the end of the stops in the worst case. The after-sales service leaves something to be desired: the parts are expensive and the service makes us hope that the warranty will expire soon.
Average price of a used Nissan Kicks
|SV CVT||BRL 81,460|
|CVT SL||BRL 108,810||–|
|Rio 2016 CVT|
|Guide to S|
|Turn on the CVT|
|Special Edition Guide||–||–||–|
|CVT Special Edition||–||–|
|meaning of CVT|
Nissan Kicks parts price
We told it
August 2016: “But even Kicks has an advantage in fuel consumption, in the city (10.9 km/l) and on the road (14.4 km/l). (…) A bodywork weighing only 1,142 kg (…) played a fundamental role in the usability tests. And also in the dynamics of the car, because in curves and brakes the small transfer of mass reduces the natural balance of the body’s work.
Honda HR-V: it is more agile. Quality 1.8 flex 140/139 hp, almost always with a CVT transmission (the rare LX version has a six-speed manual transmission). It consumes a little more: it travels 10.4 km / l in the city and 13.1 km / l on the highway, but it takes advantage of the freedom thanks to the tank of 51 liters. It is the most famous of the compact SUVs: it has a spacious cabin and a trunk of 437 liters.