JAKARTA – American automaker Ford announced that they will use Tesla’s NACS charging connector in their future EVs.
That way, future Ford vehicles can use all Tesla superchargers in the US and Canada without using an adapter.
Quoted from Inside EV, Thursday, May 25, the announcement was made on Twitter Spaces which was attended by Ford CEO Jim Farley and Tesla CEO Elon Musk.
However, Farley said it will offer two charging ports. That way, Ford still wants to offer cars that can still charge on the manufacturer’s charger.
Starting next year, EV models such as the Mustang Mach-E, F-150 Electric, and E-Transit will be able to access the Tesla Supercharger via an adapter. Then by 2025, the newest model will offer a charging port without an adapter.
“By 2025, Ford will offer the latest generation of EVs with the North American Charging Standard (NACS) connector, eliminating the adapter to gain access to the Supercharger,” Ford manufacturers said.
As it is known, Tesla has opened a supercharger network for all cars through a place called “Magic Dock”. This allows vehicles that have a CCS1 port to be connected to the Tesla Supercharger via an adapter that attaches to the charging station.
“We are excited to fulfill our mission to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy by welcoming Ford and other electric vehicles to pass the NACS,” said Tesla CEO Rebecca Tunicci.
Tesla is currently opening up the NACS standard to all electric vehicle manufacturers. But so far, only Ford and Aptera Motors have offered to use Tesla’s supercharger.
Tags: ford electric car otoinfo