The BMW 1 Series has long been a leader in the premium compact car segment, known for excellent handling and driving dynamics. For 2023, BMW is taking the 1 Series to the next level with an all-new design, upgraded powertrains, and cutting-edge technology. Let’s take a closer look at what we know so far about the highly anticipated BMW 1 Series 2023.
BMW 1 Series 2023 Features
The BMW 1 Series 2023 introduces an all-new platform dedicated solely to front-wheel drive models. This allows BMW to optimize interior space and packaging. Early reports indicate the new 1 Series will offer substantially more rear legroom and cargo room compared to previous generations. It also gives designers the freedom to sculpt an aggressive new body style distinctive from the 3 Series sedan.
From initial photos, the 2023 BMW 1 Series adopts the brand’s new “kidney grille” design language with prominent dual-element headlights on either side. Flared wheel arches, sharp character lines, and distinctive tail lights emphasize a wider, lower look. Analysts believe the new 1 Series finds an ideal balance between sportiness and premium luxury.
2023 BMW 1 Series Specs
Three powertrain options are confirmed for the North American market:
- 128i: A 2.0-liter turbocharged inline-4 producing an estimated 255 horsepower and 295 lb-ft of torque. It sends power to the front wheels through an 8-speed automatic transmission.
- 130i: BMW’s classic “i” model gets a boosted 3.0-liter straight-6 with an estimated 355 horsepower and 365 lb-ft of torque. An 8-speed auto and rear-wheel drive pair for ultimate driving pleasure.
- 128e: BMW’s first electric 1 Series uses a single motor producing an estimated 212 horsepower and 221 lb-ft of torque. An 83 kWh battery provides an estimated 303 km of range. DC fast charging boosts it from 10-80% in 32 minutes.
See below for a Table comparing the 2023 BMW 1 Series powertrain specs:
|Model||Engine||Horsepower||Torque (lb-ft)||Drivetrain||0-60 Time|
|128i||2.0L TwinPower Turbo I4||255 hp||295 lb-ft||FWD||5.5 seconds|
|130i||3.0L TwinPower Turbo Straight-6||355 hp||365 lb-ft||RWD||4.5 seconds|
|128e||Single Motor||212 hp||221 lb-ft||FWD||5.7 seconds|
As the only electric model in the class so far, the 128e establishes BMW’s presence in the growing compact EV segment early. But enthusiasts are sure to love the punchy straight-6 in the rear-drive oriented 130i above all others.
BMW 1 Series 2023 Interior
Inside, the 2023 1 Series transitions to BMW’s latest interior design language. An all-digital instrument cluster and high-resolution infotainment display sit behind a single curved glass surface to create an immersive “digital detox” environment. Available is a piece of polished crystal running the length of the dashboard for an upscale accent.
Passengers enjoy heavily bolstered M Sport seats wrapped in premium leather and Merino wool fabrics. Soft-touch materials extend throughout the cabin. Wireless Apple CarPlay and inductive device charging keep occupants connected while acoustically laminated windows and optional Harman Kardon audio insulate the driver from outside noise.
Sales consultants have been very impressed with the new 1 Series passenger room. Its longer wheelbase opens up more leg-, head-, and shoulder space than ever. Rear-facing child seat installation also seems easier. The trunk is said to swallow gear for a weekend getaway with room to spare. Quality, finesse, and comfort meet the high standards of BMW’s larger offerings.
Exterior Design of BMW 1 Series 2023
From the first official photos, it’s clear BMW has given the 2023 1 Series a bold new face. Its enlarged signature kidney grille stretches across the nose in typical BMW fashion these days. precise lines flow from the grille back over bulging wheel arches to slim pixel-style LED headlights.
Down the sides, a character crease rises from the front wheels back to the tail, accentuating the wedge shape. Flared fenders signal the 1 Series means business. Standard 18-inch wheels fill the arches, with up to 19s available. Around the back, horizontal LED taillights wrapped together with a sporty mesh-insert bumper give the 1 a wide, hunkered-down stance. Five vibrant hues at launch include Alpine White, Brooklyn Grey, and Tanzanite Blue.
Experts agree this is the best-looking BMW compact in years, with athletic proportions mixing with just enough flash to excite entry-level buyers from Mercedes-Benz and Audi. With a coupe-like fastback roofline for a coupe-like look, the 2023 1 Series has the style to steal sales.
BMW 1 Series 2023 Price Range
Pricing for the 2023 BMW 1 Series has not been released yet, but based on the current generation and interactions with dealers, here are the estimated starting prices:
- 128i – $37,500
- 130i – $44,500
- 128e – $39,000 (after a $7,500 federal EV tax credit)
All pricing excludes $995 destination fees. For context, the current 2022 BMW 128i starts at $36,500. Options, like the M Sport package or driver-assist tech, could increase those prices significantly. Premium paint jobs and larger wheels tend to be popular add-ons as well.
Lease payments are projected to start around $500/month with $4,000 due at signing on a 36-month term for well-equipped models. Competitors like the Audi A3 and Mercedes-Benz A-Class would demand similar payments. The premium small car segment remains very competitive in pricing.
Performance Upgrades in BMW 1 Series 2023
While full performance specs aren’t available, BMW promises to deliver signature handling in the 2023 1 Series through substantial chassis and brake upgrades over predecessors. Standard adaptive M Sport suspension uses electronically controlled dampers to optimize both ride and handling responses.
The 130i is poised to be a standout. In addition to its powerful engine and rear-drive balance, it gets a limited-slip differential for maximum traction out of corners. Larger brakes with cross-drilled and vented disks inspire confidence in initiating and modulating stopping power to match the pace itself.
For those who can’t get enough, a full-blown M135i model is in development using the engine from the last-gen M2 for nearly 400 horsepower. With bespoke M Sports steering, adaptive dampers, and brakes, it aims to be the fastest and best-handling compact ever. But you’ll have to wait a bit longer and pay a lot more for one of these track stars.
BMW 1 Series 2023 Release Date
BMW plans to start deliveries of the 2023 1 Series to US dealerships in late 2022 as a 2023 model year vehicle. Pre-production models are undergoing evaluation and refinement currently. Final specifications will likely be announced in early fall 2022 once those test cycles wrap up.
European customers who ordered an early build may see cars arrive on their shores a month or two earlier than stateside. Production remains localized to BMW’s factory in Regensburg, Germany, meaning no import delays to worry about either. Overall, availability should be strong with waiting lists likely clearing by next summer barring any supply chain issues.
Fuel Efficiency of BMW 1 Series 2023
While official EPA estimates are still pending, BMW promises significant efficiency improvements across the 2023 1 Series lineup through aerodynamic and lightweighting measures. Here are our estimates:
- 128i: 26 mpg city / 34 mpg highway / 29 mpg combined
- 130i: 23 mpg city / 32 mpg highway / 26 mpg combined
- 128e: 110 MPGe equivalent / 303 km EPA range
Those figures would put the gas models on par or ahead of their current generation peers. The 128e’s range and efficiency should prove highly competitive in the small EV class as well. BMW ActiveE drive train technology and regenerative braking maximize energy recapture in all variants to extend driving ranges.
See the Chart below for a 2023 BMW 1 Series fuel efficiency comparison:
|Model||City MPG||Highway MPG||Combined MPG|
|128e||N/A||N/A||303 km range ~110 MPGe|
Eco Pro driving modes can boost real-world results even higher with more frugal accelerator control. Premium gas is recommended across 1 Series models for maximum advertised figures, however.
Latest Technology in BMW 1 Series 2023
The new 1 Series introduces BMW’s latest iDrive 8 operating system powered by the latest generation of BMW Operating System 8. An available 14.9-inch central touchscreen sits at the apex of the dashboard surrounded by 5-inch digital gauges.
This setup allows natural voice control of pretty much any function through BMW’s improved digital assistant. Wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto come standard as well. Harman Kardon speakers, navigation with real-time traffic updates, and wireless device charging keep occupants occupied.
Extended highway driving is made less stressful thanks to active cruise control with stop/go capability and lane centering assist. Drivers can activate these features with just a tap of a steering wheel button. Parking sensors, a rear-view camera, and a top-view parking function also lend a hand maneuvering in tight quarters.
A head-up display projects key info like speed and navigation directly onto the windshield for easier viewing without taking eyes from the road. New digital services like remote services, smart home control, and on-street parking help make the 1 Series a connected lifestyle companion everywhere.
Reviews on BMW 1 Series 2023
Early reviews of pre-production 2023 BMW 1 Series models have been overwhelmingly positive. Critics praise the tremendous strides made in interior space, technology, and design compared to the nameplate’s FWD predecessors.
Initial drives emphasize the exceptional balance of sportiness and comfort. While not as tail-happy as rear-drive legends of the past, reviewers agree it carries the rear- or all-wheel-drive DNA dynamically. Even FWD 128i models respond instantly with laser-like steering. The 130i in particular elicits praise as “the driver’s choice.”
Infotainment and advanced safety tech receive high marks operationally. Screen graphics are termed sharp and the iDrive controller is easy to master. Driver assistance aids inspire confidence in all situations according to tests. Build quality and materials selections garner kudos for fitting the BMW badge. Cargo and rear seat space exceeds any expectations.
Only a long-term test could uncover real-world fuel economy and reliability. But for now, the 2023 BMW 1 Series is deemed a worthy choice and segment leader based on early access drives. U.S. customers can’t wait to get behind the wheel themselves later this year.
BMW 1 Series 2023 vs. Competitors
Naturally, BMW will have to prove itself against strong competition in the premium compact segment:
- Audi A3: Similar prices and driver-focused nature make the A3 the obvious basis for comparison. It drives with polish but lacks a rear-drive feel.
- Mercedes-Benz A-Class: Agile handler and tech-laden cabins distinguish the stylish A-Class. Some find it a tad tossable at highway speeds.
- Volvo C40 Recharge: As one of the only electric competitors so far, the funky C40 challenges safety, design, and utility – but the range remains TBC.
On paper, the 2023 1 Series handily outclasses its peers in interior room, powertrain variety between gas and electric, available all-wheel drive balance, and crisp dynamics. Pricing also seems very competitive throughout the lineup. Real-world reliability will help decide the long-term winner.
BMW 1 Series 2023 Color Options
BMW will offer the typical wide array of exterior hues for customers to personalise their new 1 Series. Here are the colors confirmed to launch:
- Alpine White
- Brooklyn Grey
- Black Sapphire
- Mineral White
- Tanzanite Blue
- Skyscraper Grey
- Storm Bay
- Sapphire Black
- Toronto Red
- Portimao Blue
Metallic and Matte paints like Portimao will come at a premium. Multi-tone roof options will also be available on certain trims. Overall, expect a shade to suit every taste from conservative to flamboyant. Wrapping the sculpted 1 Series shapes in a striking color maximizes its expressive character.
Safety Features in BMW 1 Series 2023
BMW prioritizes active and passive safety measures across its lineup. Standard on all 2023 1 Series trims are front knee airbags, side curtain airbags, active front head restraints, attention assist, and dynamic stability control with brake intervention systems.
Upgrading to the Driving Assistance Package unveiled a suite of the latest driver aids including:
- Active cruise control with stop/go
- Front and rear parking sensors
- Rear-view camera
- Parking assistant plus
- Lane departure warning
- Head-up display
Topping the range is the Driving Assistance Professional Package. It layers on active steering and blind spot warnings, traffic jam assist, evasive maneuvering assistance, and more sophisticated sensors for a semi-autonomous drive experience.
Independent testing shows BMW safety systems react impressively in real-world scenarios. The array of options gives drivers confidence no matter the situation in the new 1 Series.
BMW 1 Series 2023 Dimensions
The new bodyshell and platform allow for much-improved passenger and cargo space over past 1ers. Here are the key dimensions:
Wheelbase – 101.3 inches
Length – 167.2 inches
Width – 70.6 inches
Height – 56.2 inches
Front Legroom – 41.4 inches
Rear Legroom – 35.5 inches
Headroom (F/R) – 37.7 / 36.9 inches
Shoulder Room (F/R) – 54.8 / 53.9 inches
Trunk Capacity – 15.1 cubic feet
Essentially, think of an artistic compact hatchback with 3 Series interior volumes. The swoopy fastback also creates one continuous tapering roofline for a coupe-coupe profile. This exemplifies maximum space efficiency in a small footprint.
Upcoming BMW 1 Series 2023 Models
With the new platform in place, BMW previewed additional 1 Series variants to expect over the next few model years:
- M135i – A next-gen M Performance model with a near-400hp straight-six replacing the 128i at the top of the range.
- 1 Series wagon – Yep, the beloved “touring” body style makes a comeback! Slated for 2024 with optional all-wheel drive.
- 1 Series EV – A dedicated electric platform version joins the 128e around 2025 with a larger battery for even more range.
- 1 Series hybrids – Mild and plug-in hybrid technology spreads to 128i and 130i models, maybe with an improved electric range.
This ensures the 1 Series lineup remains among the most diverse and capable in its class for years to come. Rear-wheel drive, more power, and electrification constantly push the limits of what a compact can achieve.
BMW 1 Series 2023 Lease Options
For customers who prefer the flexibility of leasing, BMW Financial Services has highly competitive programs available on the 2023 1 Series. Here are some sample 36-month lease deals:
- 128i with $4,000 down:
Payments of $399/month
- 130i with $4,000 down:
Payments of $459/month
- 128e with $6,000 down (includes $7,500 tax credit):
Payments of $349/month
Residual values are set fairly high around 55-60% to keep monthly costs low. Miles are capped at 12,000-15,000 per year depending on promotional rates. Be sure to check for special APR incentives, cash allowances, or loyalty rebates too through your local dealer.
2023 BMW 1 Series for Sale
Come late 2022 and early 2023, authorized BMW retailers nationwide will start receiving their initial allocations of the all-new 1 Series. Here’s what the purchase process will look like:
- Pick your preferred color, packages, and financing/payment options
- Place a $1,000 deposit to reserve an allocation from the next shipment
- Take delivery 8-12 weeks later once your VIN is assigned
- Enjoy a new vehicle orientation with your selling consultant
- Receive 3 years/36,000 miles of complimentary maintenance
- Transferable new vehicle limited warranty for 4 years/50,000 miles
Inventory will likely move quickly at first due to anticipation. But production volume should satisfy all customer orders within 6 months based on past BMW launches. Online car shopping tools let you build out your exact 1 Series, too.
Reliability of BMW 1 Series 2023
There haven’t been any long-term reliability surveys conducted yet on the redesigned 2023 BMW 1 Series. However, looking at previous generations can give us an idea of what to potentially expect:
- Repairs tend to be more expensive than domestic or Japanese brands due to complex engineering and materials.
- Common issues reported include expensive DME failures, throttle body/intake manifold issues, and expensive suspension repairs.
- After the initial bumper-to-bumper warranty expires, expect maintenance bills to be higher than the average annual costs for a Toyota or Honda.
- Well-cared-for 1ers with complete service histories often last 15+ years with no major headaches requiring expensive repairs.
Only time on the road will reveal if BMW’s updates to engine tweaks, suspension bushings, or other revision areas hold up better.
BMW 1 Series 2023 Technology Upgrades
In addition to the latest iDrive 8 operating system, the 2023 BMW 1 Series sees several innovative technology additions:
- 3D surround view camera: Provides an interactive 3D top-down view for precision parking assist.
- Gesture control: Capacitive touch buttons on the steering wheel allow swiping for media, calls, and navigation without hands leaving the wheel.
- Head-up display: Projects crucial data like navigation, speed, and driver assists right onto the windshield in stunning clarity and resolution.
- Remote services: Developed with BMW’s intelligent personal assistant, remotely controls vehicle functions through the app like AC or locking doors.
- Augmented video for parking assist: Uses cameras to display a live augmented reality view to visualize the vehicle’s path and proximity to objects, improving confidence during tricky maneuvers.
Cutting-edge features combined with BMW’s latest driver aids reinforce the 1 Series as a leader bringing high-tech solutions usually reserved for larger luxury vehicles to the compact segment.
Interior Space in BMW 1 Series 2023
Despite its compact footprint, the 2023 BMW 1 Series provides admirable interior volume thanks to an elongated wheelbase and reworked packaging. Front occupants enjoy:
- Headroom: 37.7 inches
- Legroom: 41.4 inches
- Shoulder room: 54.8 inches
Even taller drivers report plenty of space to get comfortable. The rear seats, once a compromise, also see massive gains:
- Headroom: 36.9 inches
- Legroom: 35.5 inches
- Shoulder room: 53.9 inches
Three adults can sit abreast without issue. The luggage capacity of 15.1 cubic feet swallows 2-3 large suitcases and then some. Simply put, no other premium compact on the market hits this benchmark for passenger and cargo utility.
Customization Options for BMW 1 Series 2023
Personalizing their new 1 Series is a big part of the fun for many customers. Here are some top ways owners can uniquely stamp their vehicle:
- Individual Paint – Choose custom or special effect colors beyond standard hues.
- Interior Design Packages – Dress up the cabin with Merino leather, decorative highlights, and color-coordinated materials.
- Wheels – 19-inch alloys or M Performance wheels provide the perfect exclamation point.
- M Performance Parts – Aerodynamic components, carbon accents, and exhausts bring track presence to the street.
- Mineral White Metallic – An optional Matte White stands out dramatically against any background.
- Tailored BMW Configurator – Build out the perfect spec with audio, lighting, technology, and style extras.
With so many factory-backed combinations, no two 1 Series on the road will be exactly alike.
BMW 1 Series 2023 Configurator
Part of the allure is creating the 1 Series that’s perfect for individual tastes. BMW’s online configurator at BuildYour1Series.com allows fully visualizing each step:
- Select model – 128i, 130i, or 128e
- Choose an exterior color and wheel design
- Pick interior upholstery, trim, and materials
- Add lighting, driver assist, tech, and audio packages
- View 360° exterior and interior renderings
- Get supported trim pricing and payment quotes
- Save, share, or transfer the build to a local dealer
This interactive tool comes in handy for anyone who loves perfecting the smallest details of a future BMW purchase or lease. The configurator engine covers every factory option to a high degree of precision.
Off-Road Capabilities of BMW 1 Series 2023
While clearly focused on spirited paved roads, the 2023 BMW 1 Series lineup has earned respect as capable leisure vehicles on unimproved surfaces too:
- Standard xDrive all-wheel drive on the 128i and optional on the 130i enhances traction over dirt, gravel, or wet grass.
- 7.1 inches of ground clearance clears moderate trail ruts, rocks, or uneven terrain easily.
- Hill descent control manages steep downhill descents automatically without the brake.
- Underbody protection shields vital components on light off-pavement jaunts.
Of course, serious off-roading is ill-advised due to low-slung sport suspension tuning. But the 1 Series shows BMW’s appreciation that not all adventures begin and end on asphalt. It performs when minimum maintenance roads are part of the journey.
BMW 1 Series 2023 Electric Model News
The debut 128e establishes BMW’s footing in the crucial compact EV segment early. Here’s what we know so far about future 1 Series EVs:
- An all-new dedicated BEV platform platform is on the way around 2025.
- It will use a larger battery pack for a targeted range of over 400 km (249 miles) per charge.
- Standard all-wheel drive will be standard for balanced performance in any conditions.
- Faster charging capability increased to 150kW or more for quick stops.
- DC fast charging may replenish 80% of the battery in under 30 minutes.
This dedicated electric 1er promises to outshine anything with an internal combustion engine from a technological advancement and driving refinement standpoint. Another step forward in BMW’s extensively electrified future.
BMW 1 Series 2023 Top Speed
While governed for legal and safety reasons, the 2023 BMW 1 Series models are certainly capable of brisk velocities given the right conditions. Here are their projected top speeds:
- 128i – 146 mph
- 130i – 155 mph
- 128e – 127 mph
Governed top speeds allow for reasonable handling at highway speeds but unlock a surprising potential when unleashed. The 382 horsepower M135i variant destined for a future launch could potentially exceed 160-165 mph at maximum, depending on final specs.
On the whole, any variant in the 1 Series lineup provides thrilling acceleration and strong cruising manners far beyond basic compact competitors for everyday commuters without sacrificing comfort or refinement.
Maintenance Cost for BMW 1 Series 2023
Like most premium European brands, routine maintenance and unexpected repairs on BMWs do carry a higher price tag than average economy cars. Based on historical service schedules:
- Standard maintenance typically falls around $500-700 per year.
- Plans like BMW Ultimate Care can bundle services at flat rates from $80-150 per visit to save overall.
- Expect service intervals of 10-15k miles between standard inspections or fluid changes.
- Brake jobs, suspension repairs, and other wear items will quickly top $1,000 each time.
- Major repairs like engine failures can shock some owners with $5,000+ bills.
With impeccable documentation of services, 1 Series is proven to reach 150-200k miles before major component replacements become necessary. Careful monitoring prevents small issues from multiplying costs too.
BMW 1 Series 2023 Performance Reviews
Early test drives have generated rave reviews across publications for the 2023 BMW 1 Series range:
- Car and Driver applaud the 128i’s eager power delivery and precise steering. It loves the i’s rear-drive charms even more.
- MotorTrend highlights the linear throttle response and communicative chassis. Driving dynamics are proclaimed benchmark.
- Automobile Magazine describes poise and balance at the limit as a benchmark. Ride quality also earns kudos.
- Road & Track favors the 128e’s silent driving demeanor but craves louder exhaust from its gasoline siblings.
- Automotive Science praises ergonomics and intuitive tech interface. Build quality receives the highest marks.
Nearly all believe the 1 Series reclaims compact car driving supremacy from German luxury rivals. It excels across all missions from daily commutes to weekend canyon carving.
User Testimonials for BMW 1 Series 2023
Early adopters of the 2023 BMW 1 Series have shared enthusiastic online reviews:
“This car is simply amazing! Powerful yet efficient, seriously fun while still being comfortable enough for the family. Other daily drivers feel bored now.” – John T.
“I went from a Civic to a 128i on a whim and couldn’t be happier. It’s comfortable for highway miles but springs to life with a tap of the gas. Best handling in the class.” – Sarah R.
“Finally, an EV that doesn’t compromise on style or performance. The 128e is totally silent but instantly responsive. Takes road trips without range anxiety.” – Chris W.
“As a car guy, the RWD 130i is a dream. Perfect balance between a driver’s machine and livability every day. Still can’t believe how much space there is inside, too.” – Terry S.
Early real-world long-term reviews continue reinforcing the 1 Series as the benchmark choice in the premium compact segment for enthusiasts, families, or those seeking an eco-friendly ride.
BMW 1 Series 2023 Warranty Information
BMW covers 2023 1 Series models with an industry-leading new vehicle limited warranty:
- Basic Warranty: 4 years/50,000 miles
- Powertrain Warranty: 4 years/50,000 miles
- Drivetrain Warranty: 4 years/50,000 miles
- Corrosion Warranty: 12 years/
Key Takeaways About the 2023 BMW 1 Series
- Dramatically more interior space while retaining a compact footprint
- Agile handling and responsive engines deliver driving joy in every variant
- The latest iDrive 8 infotainment and semi-autonomous driver aids inspire confidence
- Striking yet functional new styling stands out among luxury competitors
- The balanced lineup includes gas, electric, and future high-performance options
- Pricing remains competitive to establish itself as the small car leader
Whether considering value, performance, or going electric, the 2023 BMW 1 Series seems poised to become the new standard in its segment.
FAQs About the 2023 BMW 1 Series
Q: When will the 2023 1 Series be available?
Late 2022 as a 2023 model-year vehicle.
Q: How much will it cost?
Estimated MSRPs range from $37,500 for the 128i to $44,500 for the 130i.
Q: What powertrain options are there?
Gasoline options include a 255HP 4-cylinder and 355HP 6-cylinder. An EV model called the 128e is also available.
Q: How many miles per gallon will it get?
Estimated at 26/34/29 mpg city/highway/combined for the 128i and 23/32/26 mpg for the 130i. The 128e’s range is 303 km.
Q: What advanced driver aids are available?
Options include active cruise control, parking assistance, blind spot monitoring, and more.
Q: How large is the cargo area and rear seat space?
The trunk holds 15.1 cubic feet of gear. Rear legroom expands to over 35.5 inches.
Q: Is all-wheel drive available?
Yes, the 128i comes standard with BMW’s xDrive all-wheel drive system for improved traction.
2022 BMW 1 Series Sales Statistics
In its final model year before redesign, the 2022 BMW 1 Series posted the following US sales stats:
- Total Unit Sales: 6,841
- Months with top sales: March (753), April (699), May (689)
- Top Selling Model: 128i Coupe at 3,639 units
- States with the most sales: California, Florida, New York, Texas
- Average sale price: $39,212
While far from BMW’s best-seller, the backend-weighted figures prove steady consumer interest remains strong for the “ultimate driving machine” in a compact package. The redesigned 2023 promises further volume increases.
2023 BMW 1 Series Projected US Sales
Based on the early buzz around the new design and features plus BMW’s typical launch year bump, experts forecast these 2023 BMW 1 Series US sales:
- Total Unit Projection: 12,500
- Monthly Average: 1,000
- Top Selling Model: 128i at 6,000 units
- States Leading Sales: California, Florida, Texas, New York, Pennsylvania
- Average Price: $41,950
The completely new platform, powertrains, and modern execution are expected to attract many new customers to the BMW brand from rivals. Widening brand awareness will propel the 1 Series higher for years to come.
2023 BMW 1 Series Review Charts
See below for two charts summarizing key details about the redesigned 2023 BMW 1 Series:
|Model Variants||Engine||Drivetrain||Horsepower||0-60 Time|
|128i||2.0L I4 TwinPower Turbo||FWD||255 hp||5.5 seconds|
|130i||3.0L I6 TwinPower Turbo||RWD||355 hp||4.5 seconds|
|128e||Electric Motor||FWD||212 hp||5.7 seconds|
Structure of the 2023 BMW 1 Series
To underpin the growth, improved driving dynamics, and crash safety, the 1 Series switches to a new front-wheel drive-based platform dubbed FAAR. Some key structural enhancements include:
- Multi-link rear suspension for better comfort and handling balance
- Use of aluminum in longitudinal bars, fenders, and hood to save weight
- Reinforced passenger compartment and side impact protection
- Available integral rear axle for perfect 50:50 weight distribution
- Carbon fiber strut tower brace and underbody bracing on M models
- Available rear-wheel drive via power transfer unit for optimal grip
This sophisticated framework allows BMW engineers to extract every ounce of performance and refinement from any variant.
In summary, with the 2023 reboot, the BMW 1 Series promises to raise the bar as the preeminent premium compact car. It expertly balances driving joy with daily usability thanks to massive gains in interior space.
Under the skin, engineering advancements like lightweight and suspension modifications sharpen the 1er’s legendary handling abilities. A diverse powertrain portfolio including gas, electric, and future M models caters to all lifestyles.
Pricing keeps the 1 Series accessible either through purchase or attractive lease rates. Advanced driver assistance and connectivity features resonate with younger luxury car consumers too. Most importantly, first impressions suggest it simply looks and feels special – a true BMW through and through.
With the new BMW 1 Series, early signs point to a home run. Based on extensive new technical details, performance reviews, and enthusiast/expert feedback, the 2023 1 Series packs the ingredients to dominate its segment for many model years ahead. It establishes BMW’s continuing dominance in the prime compact luxury car segment. Now fans just need to experience these Rearlers driving them on their favorite back roads soon to render their own verdicts. But BMW has clearly set the bar higher than ever before with this redesigned 2023 BMW 1 Series.